home > stories > expert's corner: clever bedroom storage
Expert's Corner: Clever Bedroom Storage
Can't handle bedroom clutter? Here are a few tips from Go Modern to help you tame the chaos
written on: 10-11-2021 07:20am
Tina Mahony, director of Go Modern, has these tips for clever storage
• During the early planning stages, we often advise clients to lay out all of the clothes and accessories they own and make a realistic assessment of what and how much they need to store and have easy access to on a regular basis.
• With floor-to-ceiling fitted wardrobes it’s possible to have rails positioned higher than would normally be recommended but designed as pull-down rails. This is useful for clothes that are worn only occasionally and leaves more room below the main hanging area for internal drawers or second rails for smaller or shorter items.
• Pull-out trouser racks can also be fitted into lower spaces and are more efficient and space saving than traditional coat hangers. Think about storage for footwear – rather than having shoes kicking around at the bottom of a wardrobe, we can fit hanging rails below bottom shelves, which have special hooks for shoes and ankle boots. This way it’s easier to keep pairs together and see at a glance what you’ve got. Some designs also offer pull-out laundry baskets, which is useful for creating a streamlined look.
• Lots more people are also working from home these days so if a spare room isn’t an option, think about incorporating a ‘hidden’ home office within a wardrobe space. All spaces can be fitted with chargers for phones and other devices.
• Internal lighting is also an important feature and our wardrobes can be fitted with LED lights, which are recessed into the top of the wardrobe and include a motion sensor that automatically turns on when the doors are opened.
Credit: Hayley Gilbert (Words) Published: As featured in EKBB Magazine, Issue 251, March 2017